Have you ever spit into a fan?
“As God’s co-workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. For he says,
“In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you.” (Isaiah 49:8)
I tell you, now is the time of God’s favor, now is the day of salvation.” – 2 Corinthians 6:1-2
I can think of nothing more insane and yet more common than taking God’s Grace in vain! It’s the equivalent of spitting into a fan and then expecting to not get wet. It’s like trying to milk a bull and then wondering why you are being killed by that bull.
Accepting His Grace in vain is the epitome of spiritual ignorance and yet so very common – especially in the church today!
What does vain Grace look like?
1) A reminder of sin lingers – The law is the power of sin! If you take away the law there is no reminder of sins – Grace takes away the law!
2) A need to conform others and yourself – As long as the law has value for a being washed in the blood – conforming will be the order of the day!
3) An automated answer and response capability is considered spiritual growth – you have the way that the answers make sense and no further explanation is needed and certainly not encouraged.
4) A closed community – this is Not a place of God’s favor like in Isaiah 49:9 He tells the captives to “Come out” – instead this place keeps the captives in and doesn’t allow anyone new in without conformity!
5) A leveled community – Vain Grace will almost always be about leveling of sin. One of the top ten broken especially murder and “oh you are so going to the back row if we let you in at all” – unless you have a cool gory testimony!